There is a new wave of business ventures promoting “brain training” applications/games. One of these is Lumosity, which was launched with the intent to enhance users’ brains and cognitive functioning. For tonight, follow the link to their website (http://www.lumosity.com/) and take the following steps:
- Watch the intro video on the homepage (“Learn how Lumosity works”)
- Click “Get Started Now” button. When it asks you what you would like to focus on in each of the five categories, check them all.
- You will then need to enter your email and create a password to login. You need to pay for Lumosity’s full service, but they offer several free introductory exercises/tests. I did this a few months ago and haven’t received obnoxious emails, but if you are uncomfortable with this, I won’t require it.
- Answer the profile questions they ask you and then take the “fit test” exercises.
- When done, respond to questions below.
Questions: Reflect on the following…
- How did you find this experience?
- Despite Lumosity’s claims of being based on neuroscience, many scientists and psychologists believe the benefit to such exercises is exaggerated and/or needs more evidence and research. What do you think? Do you think these exercises could improve cognitive performance? Do they have any benefit, if any?
- Are these games better/different than other brain-exercising activities? Assuming they have some benefit, what other activities would also benefit cognitive growth?